| The History of St, Luke The Evangelist, Mulhuddart Dublin 15
The History of St, Luke The Evangelist, Mulhuddart Dublin 15
The Parish of Mulhuddart is part of the fast growing Area of Dublin 15. Often called ‘Ladyswell’, Mulhuddart Parish was constituted from Blanchardstown Parish in 1993 with Father Leo Quinlan as Parish Priest. In the early days of development Masses were celebrated in ‘The Canteen’ – a workers’ hut – before transfer to Saint Luke the Evangelist Church in February 1993. With the strong support of the Area Bishop Dermot O’Mahony, Mulhuddart was constituted a Parish by Archbishop Desmond Connell on August 15th 1993. The same church was refurbished in 2005 to increase its capacity and to provide a much needed Parish Centre.
In the 1930's the Dublin historian the Rev. Myles Ronan, claimed that the name had its origins in Mullach-Chuidbert, Cutbert's Hill. A Saint Cutbert of the early Christian period is identified with Kilmahuddrick near Clondalkin but has no know association with Mulhuddart. A more likely interpretation is Mullach Eadartha, the Hill of the Milking Place. In the Gaeltacht, one can still hear the expression chodail se go h-eadra - he slept until milking time. In ancient Ireland, cows were driven out into upland pastures during the summer months and special places were designated for their milking. If this is indeed the origin of the place name, then it precedes the coming of Christianity to the area.
The Parish of Mulhuddart forms part of the archdiocese of Dublin and has its origins in the 12th century. The process of organising the Irish church into parishes and diocese was begun at the Synod of Rath Bressail in 1111 and completed at the synod of Kells in 1152. Following the capture of Dublin by the Normans in 1170, the parish of Mulhuddart was heavily colonised by Anglo-Norman families. Their influence is still reflected in modern townland names. Buzzardstown, for instance, is called after the family of William Bossard; Tyrellstown is called after a junior branch of the Tyrell's, created barons of Castleknock in 1173. Cruiserath is a combination of the family name of Cruise and the Gaelic word rath meaning an earthen ring-fort.
The river Tolka flows through the village on its journey to the sea and over the centuries, it has cut a wide flood plain through the centre of the parish. The Tolka flood plain has been turned into a new public park between the old Navan Road and the new Castlecurragh estate.